Prep & Cook Time: 2 hours
1 1/2 pounds Yukon Gold Potatoes, very thinly sliced into rounds
1 pound slice (about 1/2-inch) deli ham, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
2 tablespoons butter
1 medium onion, chopped
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoons Italian herb blend
1/4 teaspoon dry ground mustard
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 cup Cass-Clay Heavy Whipping Cream
1 cup milk
8 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
3 ounces prosciutto, cut into 1/2-inch strips
- Heat over to 350º F
- Set potatoes and ham aside. Butter a 2-quart casserole dish or a 9-inch square pan; set aside
- In 2 quart saucepan melt butter over medium high heat. Add chopped onion. Cook, stirring occasionally, until onion is tender and just beginning to brown.
- Stir in flour, Italian herb blend, dry ground mustard and pepper. Continue cooking, stirring constantly, until bubbly
- Whisk in whipping cream and milk. Continue, whisking occasionally, until mixture thickens (2 to 3 minutes)
- Stir in half (4 ounces) the shredded cheese until smooth and creamy
- Layer half the potatoes on bottom of prepared dish. Top with all the cubed ham and sprinkle with half of remaining shredded cheese.
- Pour and spread half the cream mixture over potato layer. Repeat layering with remaining potatoes, cheese and cream mixture.
- Cover; bake for 45 minutes.
- Remove cover and place strips of prosciutto on top. Return to over, uncovered, and bake until cream mixture is bubbly, prosciutto is crispy and potatoes are fork tender (about 45 minutes)