- 1 lb. Cavatappi Pasta
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 4 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- 1 ea. Large shallot, thinly sliced
- ¼ cup dry white wine
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cups Cass Clay whole milk, room temperature
- 3 cups shredded Gruyère cheese
- ¼ tsp. ground nutmeg
- Kosher or Sea salt & ground white pepper, as needed
- 2 tsp. fresh rosemary, chopped
- 1 Tbsp. fresh Italian parsley, chopped
- 2 cups toasted bread crumbs, panko
- Bring a large sauce pan of salted water to a boil and cook pasta to al dente. Strain the pasta and spread onto a baking dish to cool. Do not rinse the pasta.
- In a large saute pan melt butter and olive oil together. Add shallots and saute lightly. Deglaze pan with white wine. Remove pan from the heat and incorporate flour to create a pan roux or paste. Slowly whisk in the milk, making sure to avoid lumps. Place pan back on medium heat allow mixture to come to a simmer, making sure to stir often to avoid burning.
- When mixture is thickened remove from the heat and slowly incorporate the gruyere cheese. Season with nutmeg, salt, pepper, rosemary and parsley.
- Fold sauce into the cooked pasta and place in a baking dish. Top with toasted bread crumbs and bake at 375 degree for approx. 10 minutes or until golden brown on top.