- 3 cups flour
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 cup Cass-Clay butter
- 1/2 cup sultanas (white raisins) or currants
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup Cass-Clay milk
- 1 Cass-Clay egg (for glaze)
- 1 (3 oz.) package cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup Cass-Clay whipping cream
- 4 teaspoons confectioners sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla
- Sift together flour, baking powder and sugar. Rub in butter until mixture is fine.
- Beat egg with milk; stir in raisins. Add to flour mixture, mix to make a dough.
- Roll out dough 3/4-inch thick; cut rounds with a 2 1/2-inch cookie cutter.
- Brush rounds with beaten egg; place on greased cookie sheet.
- Bake for 10 minutes at 400 degrees, then 350 degrees for 5 more minutes.
- When ready to serve, cut in half, serve with Devonshire Cream and strawberry jam or jelly.
- Beat cream cheese in a small mixer bowl until light and fluffy.
- Beat in whipping cream, sugar and vanilla until mixture is smooth.
- Refrigerate, covered, 1 hour before serving with scones.
(Test note: In testing, we used light golden raisins. Treat yourself to a midafternoon break. Nibble on these delicious scones served with Devonshire Cream — and a spot of tea!)
** Margaret Lawler, Linton (KEM Electric Co-op)