Homemade Banana Pudding
Prep Time: 30 min
Cook Time: 10 min
Total Time: 40 min
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 4-5 medium ripe bananas
- 45 vanilla wafer cookies (approximately)
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Separate eggs, reserving whites for the meringue topping. Place yolks in a small bowl.
- Combine 1 cup sugar, cornstarch, and salt in a medium saucepan, whisking until well combined. Add milk to the sugar mixture, then gradually whisk in egg yolks. Cook over medium heat, whisking constantly, until pudding thickens, about 10-12 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla. Set aside to cool.
- In a medium mixing bowl using an electric mixer, beat egg whites at high speed until foamy. Add 3 tablespoons sugar and cream of tartar; continue beating until stiff peaks form. Set aside until needed.
- Peel bananas and cut into 1/3-inch-thick slices.
- In a 3-quart oven-safe dish, place an even layer of vanilla wafers on the bottom of the dish. Top with a layer of sliced bananas and about half of the pudding. Repeat layers, ending with bananas.
- Spread egg white mixture over the top, covering the pudding completely. Use a spatula to make small peaks.
- Bake for approximately 10 minutes, or until the top is golden brown. Let cool for 30 minutes if serving warm, or chill for an additional hour and serve cold.