Prep Time: 45 min
Cook Time: 30 min
Total Time: 1 hr 15 min
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 1 1⁄4 cups sugar divided
- 7 egg yolks, divided
- Zest of half lemon
- 1 cup flour
- 2 cups LACTAID® or whole milk
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- Whipped cream topping
For the Tart Shells:
- Preheat oven to 350˚. Spray 16 mini tart pans with cooking spray. Set aside.
- Cream butter and 1/2 cup sugar together until light in color using an electric mixer or food processor. Add 1 egg yolk and lemon zest, mixing until well blended. Add flour and mix just until dough begins to form. Stop the mixer, remove the dough, and shape it into a disc. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 25 to 30 minutes.
- Divide dough into 16 equal pieces and press into a round on a floured surface. Press rounds into mini tart pans. Bake for 10 – 12 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from oven and cool for 20 minutes before filling with caramel.
For the Caramel Filling:
- Cook 1/4 cup sugar in a small saucepan over medium heat until it caramelizes and begins to turn golden brown. Remove from heat. Slowly add milk. Return to low heat and stir until the sugar has dissolved into the milk, about 5 to 8 minutes. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk cornstarch and 1/2 cup sugar together. Add the remaining 6 egg yolks. Mix until well blended. While whisking, slowly pour half of the warm milk into the cornstarch mixture. Blend well and return to saucepan. Cook caramel filling over medium-low heat while stirring constantly until mixture thickens, about 6 to 8 minutes.
- Pour caramel into tart shells. Chill in the refrigerator for 2 to 3 hours before serving. Top with whipped cream.