Fancy Green Beans
2 pounds fresh green beans, snapped
2 tablespoons Truffle Herb Butter (recipe below)
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
¾ cup low-sodium chicken broth or stock
½ cup half and half
¼ cup parmesan, grated
Salt and pepper to taste
½ cup crispy onions
Truffle Herb Butter
8 ounces Cass Clay Butter, unsalted
1 ½ teaspoons truffle oil
1 ½ teaspoons fresh thyme, chopped
1 teaspoon fresh sage, chopped
Combine softened butter in a medium-sized bowl with oil, thyme and sage. Beat until fluffy. Scoop butter onto one end of a rectangular piece of parchment paper, leaving room on the sides. Fold the end with the butter over, tucking tightly to form a log. Roll until you’ve reached the end of the parchment. Twist the ends and secure with string or bread ties. Refrigerate for at least 12 hours.
- Heat oven to 350 F.
- Steam or blanch green beans to where they are tender, but still have a slight snap to them. Set aside.
- In a heavy-bottomed pot, melt butter over medium heat.
- Whisk in flour until butter fully absorbs, about two minutes.
- Continue whisking and add in the chicken broth. Once combined, add in the half and half.
- Reduce heat to low and let simmer until slightly thickened, about five minutes. Stir in parmesan and salt and pepper.
- Add the green beans and toss to coat.
- Butter a deep casserole dish and pour in green bean mixture.
- Top with crispy onions and bake 15 minutes, or until heated through and the top is crispy.
Recipe courtesy of Half & Half magazine, a food magazine celebrating dairy and those who make it. Learn more and subscribe at halfandhalfmag.com