Impress your family by making this from scratch green bean casserole!
Baked “Fried” Onions
- 1 large onion
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup Panko
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 large egg
- 1 Tbsp. Cass-Clay milk
Green Bean Casserole
- 1 Tablespoon + 1 teaspoon salt (divided)
- 1 pound green beans (cooked)
- 2 Tbsp. unsalted Cass-Clay butter
- 8 oz. mushrooms (sliced into quarters)
- ½ tsp ground black better
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 2 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 ¼ cup Cass-Clay half and half
- Preheat oven to 475, and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- For onions: Thinly slice the onions. Pour flour in a small bowl. Pour Panko, salt, and pepper into a medium bowl. Whisk the egg and milk together in another small bowl. Dip a few slices into the flour, then into the egg mixture, then the panko mixture. Place onto a baking sheet and repeat with the remaining sliced onions. Bake for about 25 minutes (golden brown) and flip them twice during this time. Set aside and reduce oven to 400.
- For the casserole: Over medium-high heat, melt butter in a large skillet. Add mushrooms, 1 tsp of salt, and pepper. Cook (stir occasionally) for about 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook for another 5 minutes. Add the flour and stir until combined. Add chicken broth and simmer for 3 minutes. Reduce the heat to medium low and add half and half. Cook until mixture is thick while stirring occasionally (10 minutes).
- Remove from heat and add ¼ of the onions and all the cooked green beans. Stir to combine the sauce and beans. Transfer the mixture into a casserole dish. Top the casserole with the remaining onions and baked until it’s bubbly (10-15 minutes). Enjoy!