- ¼ cup butter
- 1 ½ cups (about 1 large) coarsely chopped sweet onions (Walla Walla, Maui, Vidalia)
- 3 pounds Yukon gold potatoes, peeled, cut into large chunks
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 ¼ cups Cass-Clay Half & Half or Whole Milk, warmed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- Sprig of fresh thyme
- In 10-inch skillet melt butter over medium heat; add onion. Cook over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, 15 to 20 minutes or until golden brown.
- Meanwhile, place potatoes in 5-quart saucepan. Cover with water; add 2 teaspoons salt. Cook over high heat until water comes to a boil. Reduce heat to medium; cook potatoes 20 minutes or until fork tender. Drain well.
- In large bowl place hot potatoes. Mash with potato masher or beat with hand mixer, slowly adding warmed half & half, until well blended and smooth. Stir in onions, salt, pepper and thyme.
- Serve immediately or place in crockery cooker. Hold on Warm for up to four hours. If desired, stir in additional warmed half & half if needed to make creamier.
- Garnish with sprig of fresh thyme.